Great stuff happens all the time.
Check out what we've released recently in our steady stream of new features, support for IDE revisions, and important bug fixes.
Requires maintenance through 2018.10.02
- Fix for parsing change that caused some members of UE4 classes to no longer be recognized by VA (regression in 2291). (case=119590)
- [VS2017] Fix for failure of ctrl+left-click commands to work if a selection exists before invocation (regression in 2291). (case=119698
Requires maintenance through 2018.09.21
- Find References Results can be collapsed to level of project or file node via commands in the context menu of the window. Learn more.
- VA Hashtags can be unhidden selectively. (Requires hidden tags to be shown dimmed—set in the context menu of the VA Hashtags tool window.)
Learn more about hiding and unhiding of VA Hashtags.
- Persistent filter in Open-File-in-Solution dialog can be toggled with Ctrl+R. Learn more about persistent filtering.
- Path preference for Add Include Directive (Shift+Alt+Q) can now be specified in the options dialog of Visual Assist.
- Add Include Directive (Shift+Alt+Q) better places #includes when a file has an #ifndef guard.
- Improved code-generation for Unreal Engine 4 (UE4).
- [VS2017 15.8+] Fixed coloring of identifier definitions in C# broken by change in editor behavior. (case=118439)
- [VS2017 15.8+] VA no longer interferes with Multi-Caret Edit mode. (case=117499)
- Fixed support of C# interpolated strings. (case=96559, case=98335)
- Fixed support of C# inline declared out variables. (case=116073)
- Fixed support of C# expression-bodied properties and methods. (case=116299)
- Improved support of C++14/17 [[attributes]]. (case=112204)
- Forward declared class/struct in method parameter list no longer breaks VA Outline or Methods in File list. (case=66673)
- Fixed case in which type deduction in 'range-based for' failed on a dereferenced smart pointer. (case=97149)
- Fixed case in which a method with parameter list that contains the word enum is not listed in Methods In File. (case=114839)
- Fixed case in which Change Signature was not available for functions with certain template arguments. (case=114966)
- Fixed Create Implementation on static class member that is an instance of a class template. (case=115411)
- Fixed case in which parser inappropriately resolved overloaded operator-> on an instance variable. (case=117758)
- [Windows Insider Build] Added workaround for backspace handling in Methods In File filter edit control due to change in Windows behavior. (case=118007)
- Fix for exception reported as caught by VS when git source control diff command is executed. (case=118858)
- Fix for VA Step Filter failing to work after initial debug session when 'Clear list on start of debugging' is unchecked. (case=118156)
- [VS2017] Fix for VA Step Filter no longer stepping over some shared_ptr methods (due to them being moved to _Ptr_base in a VS2017 update). (case=119182)
- Fixed display of directories list in VA Options dialog at 200% scaling. (case=112033)
- Increased width of .exe installer status window to fit text that is displayed when setup is waiting for VS processes to exit. (case=118044)
Requires maintenance through 2018.08.02
- Source Links plug-in for Jira issue navigation defaults to number value, which improves finding of links in comments.
Change the configuration manually if the Jira plug-in was installed by a previous build of Visual Assist. Learn more.
- Fix for crash at startup in some scenarios when Recommended Keybindings dialog would automatically appear (regression in 2283). (case=118079)
- Fixed alt+mouse block selection (regression in 2283, reverted changes for case=116799). (case=118011)
Requires maintenance through 2018.07.20
- Source Links plug-in for Jira issue navigation now allows a Jira project key to be the keyword for links. For example, if a Jira project key is "JTP" and comments contain references such at "JTP-1", specify "JTP" as keyword and "-" as suffix in the link definition.
Then, specify "JTP" or "$(Keyword) in the configuration dialog for the plug-in.
Hover over issues that follow a plug-in keyword and suffix to view information about respective issues.
Double-click a link to open an issue in a browser window. Learn more.
Requires maintenance through 2018.07.12
- The Open File in Solution (OFIS) dialog now includes a second edit field whose value persists to all searches. Open the persistent filter using the context menu of the OFIS dialog.
Enter filtering strings to persist to all searches. For example, enter "-.moc_" to hide Qt files that begin "moc_".
If you develop with Unreal Engine 4 (UE4), hide engine source by filtering its root directory.
If you hide the second edit field, its filters continue to be applied to all searches. Empty the edit field to restore default behavior. Learn more.
- Source Links includes a new plug-in, Jira issue navigation, that previews issues stored on a Jira server. Enable and configure the plug-in in the the options dialog for Visual Assist.
Hover over issues that follow a plug-in keyword, "jira" by default, to view information about respective issues.
Double-click a link to open an issue in a browser window. Learn more.
- Source Links now allows a choice of mouse actions to open links, and whether link tooltips should identify available actions. Find the related drop-down and checkbox on the Source Links page in the options dialog for Visual Assist.
- Source Links tooltips populated by the File Viewer plug-in now include thumbnails from files that contain shell-supported thumbnails.
- Settings that pertain to a solution can now be stored in $(SOLUTIONDIR)\.va\ where they can be easily shared. Rules for hiding VA Hashtags are written to .va\user\, and can be copied manually to .va\shared\ for use by other users of Visual Assist. The file that contains overrides for the parsers in Visual Assist, va_stdafx.h, can be placed in .va\shared\. And, solution-specific filters for the VA Step Filter can be written to .va\shared, via setting in options dialog for Visual Assist, also for use by all users.
- A new code-generation command, Add Forward Declaration, is available in headers for pointer and reference members added to class definitions and method declarations. Access the command from the Quick Action and Refactoring menu (Shift+Alt+Q).
The forward declaration is added at a sensible location. Learn more.
- New Code Inspection:
- Use shuffle() instead of random_shuffle()
Learn about Code Inspection.
- Added symbol names to titles of cloned results windows so multiple windows are easily differentiated.
Learn to clone results of Find References.
- Added Quick Info to tooltips in Find Symbol in Solution (Shift+Alt+S) dialog.
- Added an option to conserve battery power when Code Inspection is enabled. (When unchecked and on battery power, reparse manually via the VA Code Inspection Results tool window.)
- Added registry setting to automatically reload files opened using paths that contain forward slashes. Learn more.
- Improved code-generation and navigation for Unreal Engine 4 (UE4).
- Reduced memory required to parse very large files containing huge numbers of macros. (case=115155)
- Fix for incomplete code transformation of Quick Fix for copy construction body can be replaced with =default. (case=115351)
- Fix for undeleted .pch files in VA temp directory when Code Inspection is enabled (regression in 2248). (case=116765)
- Fix for failure to apply multiple Quick Fixes if more than one requires insertion of a #include directive. (case=116405)
- [VS2017] Fix for failure to observe solution reload events. (case=116501)
- Fix for incorrect contents of OFIS and FSIS dialogs after switching between git branches (not yet fixed for folder mode). (case=116673)
- Fix for incorrect contents of FSIS dialog after load of solution in which files were deleted from projects outside of Visual Studio. (case=116689)
- Fix for odd template items listed in Find Symbol in Solution dialog. (case=9666)
- .md and .markdown files are now recognized as plain text files. (case=116064)
- Fixed parsing of classes qualified as both sealed and abstract. (case=115473)
- [VS2015+] Fixed override of ctrl+click and alt+click mouse command handling. (case=116799)
- Fix for Spell Check failing to properly ignore word followed by a single quote. (case=116759)
- Fix for inappropriate display of message box when opening MSSQL data view documents. (case=116561)
- Caret position is now restored after VA reloads a file opened with a path containing forward slashes. (case=116840)
- [VS2015+] Fix for failure of Step Filter window to switch from read-only to read-write until second solution load (regression in 2270). (case=117139)
- [VS2017] Fix for Code Inspection failure to honor C++17 compiler settings in some cases. (case=117208)
- [VS2017 15.7+] Reduced flicker of Quick Info tooltips. (case=117209)
- Fixed resource leak. (case=117566)
- Fix for maintenance renewal dialog no longer being displayed (regression in 2114). (case=117498)
- Fix for crash when inappropriately invoking Encapsulate Field in a namespace. (case=117548)
Requires maintenance through 2018.04.30
- Source Links includes a new plug-in, File Viewer, that previews the content of files whose paths appear in source comments. Preview-able formats include HTML, XAML, RTF, text, and image formats such as png and jpg.
File Viewer can be enabled and configured in the options dialog of Visual Assist. Learn more.
- Find References now reports a count of references hidden from the results.
Use single-letter toggles (D, S, R, and M) or the context menu of a results window to control types of references displayed. Learn more.
- GoTo Related (Shift+Alt+G) or Quick Action (Shift+Alt+Q) from an #include directive now opens a menu with actions pertinent to a header, including Open Containing Folder.
- Improved results of Code Inspection in header files.
- Improved support for Unreal Engine (UE4), and added a UE4-specific page to the options dialog of Visual Assist.
- Reduced memory footprint by moving Code Inspection to a separate process.
- Fixed undo of Change Signature to require only a single invocation of the command across all files modified. (case=115689)
- [VS2015] Fix for period of unresponsiveness while attempting to display large Quick Info tooltip. (case=115590)
- Fixed cases where Introduce Variable, Add/Remove Braces, Create Missing Cases, and Create From Usage either were not available or produced incorrect results in overloaded method implementations. (case=114731, case=114730, case=90190, case=86791)
- Fix for failure to resolve overloaded method during Goto (Alt+G). (case=114785)
- Fix for VA Hashtags's not being removed from tool window when file is deleted outside of Visual Studio. (case=114055)
- Fixed Code Inspection crash. (case=115487)
- Fix for inappropriate display of message box when opening "mssql::*" documents. (case=115635)
- Fix for platform change in VA Options dialog's not being properly committed (regression in 2258.5). (case=116077)
Requires maintenance through 2018.03.06
- Fix for failure of VA Options dialog to load in some circumstances. (case=114812)
Requires maintenance through 2018.02.20
- The Open File in Solution (OFIS) dialog now accepts a target character position when specified with a target line number. Learn more.
- The Open File in Solution (OFIS) dialog can now include files from all directories below a git root, not just from the directories of the current solution, if the current solution is one or more levels under a git root. Include the files via the context menu of the dialog.
- The VA Hashtags tool window can be navigated with arrow keys when focus is in the filter field. Learn more.
- Multiple VA Hashtags can be selected at once, and context-menu commands are available to hide the selected or unselected tags.
- Convert Instance to Pointer (Shift+Alt+Q) can now create raw and smart pointers.
- Code Inspection results, when grouped by level or inspection, can be collapsed and expanded.
- Code Inspection is now limited to two threads so the feature does not impede responsiveness of the IDE.
- Improved support for Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) with better parsing, italics for local engine installations, smarter Create Implementation, and automatic enabling of support. Learn more.
- Fix for 'check emptiness with empty() instead of size()' Code Inspection breaking code. (case=112036)
- Fix for failure of Sort Selected Lines to do proper case-insensitive sort in some circumstances. (case=114072)
- Fix for failure of the Edit.GoTo command to work properly when an argument is passed to it. (case=113275)
- Fixed indication of write to array elements in Find References Results toolwindow. (case=4985)
- Fixed caret placement after running Quick Fix for typedef conversion. (case=104811)
- Fix for sluggish behavior when VA Hashtags toolwindow is open in solution with a large number of hashtags. (case=109251)
- Fix for Create Implementation and Change Signature problems caused by presence of UPARAM attributes in Unreal Engine source. (case=110732, case=110735, case=112654)
- [VS2017 15.6p3+] Fix for parsing errors introduced in preview versions of 15.6. (case=114222, case=114182)
- [VS2017 15.6p2+] Fix for failure of VA suggestions to display. (case=114018)
- Fixed various issues with Convert Instance to Pointer and Convert Pointer to Instance. (case=113770, case=113764, case=112991, case=112992, case=113015, case=113016, case=113019, case=113021, case=113185, case=113194, case=113195)
- Fix for Implement Virtual Methods failure on classes derived from some Unreal Engine 4 classes. (case=112700)
- Fix for incorrect members lists for some classes in Unreal Engine 4 game projects. (case=114494)
- Code Inspection for make_unique and make_shared no longer add #include if it is already included. (case=113411)
- Fix for inconsistent line endings caused by make_unique and make_shared Code Inspections. (case=113412)
- Fix for extra parenthesis left by Code Inspection for push_back to emplace_back. (case=113724)
- Fix for Introduce Variable placement of variable when uniform initialization syntax is being used. (case=113649)
- Added registry setting to defeat recent change in behavior of preventing VA Snippets in Unreal Engine U* macro invocations (registry value named AllowSnippetsInUnrealMarkup). (case=113474)
Requires maintenance through 2017.12.16
- Added three refactoring commands, all available via Shift+Alt+Q from local variables:
Convert Instance to Pointer
Convert Pointer to Instance
Simplify Instance Declaration
- Added support for Code Inspection in Visual Studio 2017 15.5.
- Added Code Inspections:
- Range-based loop variable can be a const reference
- Local variable can be a const reference
- Prefer transparent functor
- Improved support for Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) with specifier completion, better coloring, and italics.
- Improved support for CMake solutions.
- Increased speed of opening first editor instance on Windows 10 Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update).
- Find References now includes calls to CreateInstance and CoCreateInstance in creation hits.
- Added setting to enable/disable Code Inspection while debugging. (Setting is disabled by default.)
- Visual Assist now loads va_stdafx.h for all solutions if the header is in AppData\Roaming\VisualAssist\misc.
- Fix for crash when pasting lambda into source when Code Inspection enabled. (case=112413)
- [V2017 15.6] Fix for failure to properly parse std::shared_ptr. (case=112697)
- Fix for failure of Add Missing Case Statements to work on reference to enum type. (case=109635)
- Fix for overload resolution during Alt+g failing due to const variable declaration. (case=109837)
- Open/closed state of nodes in VA Hashtags toolwindow now properly restored when hashtag instances are deleted (fixing hashtag navigation). (case=112118)
- Use of [[deprecated]] no longer breaks dot to arrow correction. (case=112232)
- Changed behavior of Auto-Extend Multi-Line Comments to better accommodate javadoc comment style. (case=111445)
- Fix for Add Include using incorrect path when solution contains a project that is located in the Windows Program Files directory. (case=111530)
- [VS2010+] Fix for failure of snippet editor to restore to correct size and position in high DPI environments. (case=110809)
- Fix for Code Inspection reporting an issue that was not supported by VA. (case=111869)
- VA no longer colors parameters in Unreal Engine 4 U* macro invocations. (case=109053)
- Fix for Add Include using incorrect directive token in some cases. (case=111997)
- Fix for failure of all snippets with identical shortcuts to be suggested in some cases. (case=111945)
- Improved performance of load of Open File in Solution dialog when show all files in solution directories is enabled. (case=111851)
- Fix some cases in which the default selection was not visible in completion listboxes. (case=111562, case 111563)
- Fix for VA Memory View not copying all selected rows. (case=111909)
- Fix for scaling of icons in certain message boxes in high DPI environments. (case=110376)
- Fix for errant set of VCINSTALLDIR environment variable (regression in 2231). (case=112001)
- Fixes for crashes and hangs identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=111709, case=112180, case=112131)
Requires maintenance through 2017.11.10
- Mitigation of some CreateWindow* failures in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (workaround that helps some, but definitely not all, users). Read the notice on our support page for more information. (case=111864)
- Fix for Code Inspection failure to properly read include path from project settings (regression in 2231). (case=111596)
Requires maintenance through 2017.10.03
- Fix for hang that can occur when Smart Suggestion is displayed for UPARAM invocation in Unreal Engine (UE4) source. (case=111404)
Requires maintenance through 2017.09.25
- Added a Source Links plug-in that turns website addresses and URLs in comment blocks into hyperlinks that open in one's external, default browser. Learn more.
- New Code Inspections:
- Integer literal can be replaced with 'true' or 'false'
- Reduce container capacity with shrink_to_fit() instead of copy and swap
- Allow customization of several code inspections. Access individual settings via the gear icons in the options dialog for Visual Assist.
- Improved support for Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) by including Unreal markup in Quick Info and offering Smart Suggestions for UPARAM().
- Added support for lightweight solution load of C/C++ projects in Visual Studio 2017 15.3. In the Open-File-in-Solution dialog, files in lightweight-loaded projects are listed as deferred.
Visual Assist parses files in deferred projects as the projects, or their containing solutions, are loaded.
- Added settings related to GoTo to the options dialog of Visual Assist.
Learn to navigate with GoTo Implementation (Alt+G) and GoTo Related (Shift+Alt+G).
- Added settings related to VA Hashtags to the options dialog of Visual Assist.
Learn to manage tasks and set bookmarks with VA Hashtags.
- Added setting to control handling of * by `variable can be declared auto` Code Inspection. (case=108642)
- Added settings to control `virtual` keyword handling and destructor handling by `overriding function without override specifier` Code Inspection. (case=111123, case=103139)
- Items on Code Inspection page of VA Options dialog support multiple selection and improved keyboard navigation. (case=110289)
- Code Inspection no longer inappropriately offers to replace constructor with = default. (case=109725)
- Fix for Code Inspection failure when a file #includes a UTF16/UCS2 encoded file that is not open in VS. (case=110708)
- Spellcheck no longer flags VA Hashtags. (case=91351)
- Goto and Goto Related support VA Hashtags that contain hyphen characters (when the VA Hashtag hyphen setting is enabled). (case=91506, case=109520)
- Source Links now supported in the VS peek windows. (case=110534)
- Fix for touch-hold gesture invoking context menu on touchscreens. (case=111020)
- Improved Goto behavior on symbols #included into namespace scope. (case=111049)
- Fix for VA interference with Edit.CycleClipboardRing in text files in which VA is not active. (case=110652)
- Fix for VA comment commands being invoked during XAML source find of / or * in selection. (case=110643)
- Fix for C# var keyword colored incorrectly in VA windows. (case=110517)
- VA no longer inappropriately offers parameter list suggestions to macro invocations. (case=109347)
- Fixed cases in which use of some macros before class definitions caused VA to not underline invalid symbols within the class definition. (case=109637)
- Fix for Code Inspection failing to parse listed include directories when specified with quotes. (case=110439)
- Fixes for crashes identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=110696, case=110697, case=110698, case=110699, case=111288)
Requires maintenance through 2017.08.15
- Initial parse of large solutions, especially those that include Unreal Engine 4 (UE4), requires less time. Initial parse times for UE4 have dropped by up to 75%.
- Source Links can now find keywords by regular expression.
- Added support for system-wide NuGet.Config, and for environment variables in NuGet repositoryPath.
- Improved parsing of projects that include Google Test.
- Added UI to Source Links page of VA Options dialog to set search directories for Source Links plugins.
- Improved support for multiple monitors in mixed-mode DPI.
- Improvements to Smart Select behavior on numeric literals. (case=109428)
- Use of environment variables in NuGet repositoryPath now supported. (case=105958)
- [VS2017 15.3] Enabled solution event change notifications (which had been disabled in build 2223). (case=104119)
- Improved detection of 'Check emptiness with empty()...' Code Inspection. (case=109931)
- Code Inspection no longer offers nullptr quick fix in .c files. (case=109043)
- Fix for missing Code Inspections due to include path problem. (case=109844)
- Fix for bad code resulting from running the 'convert typedef to using' Code Inspection on a function typedef. (case=109745)
- Fixed Smart Select behavior on lines where multiple variables are declared and initialized. (case=98589)
- Fixed Smart Select behavior in C# interpolated strings. (case=106091)
- Fix for missing dot to arrow conversion on an instance of a raw pointer whose type was defined with 'using' keyword. (case=109767)
- Fix for symbol resolution failure of struct in an enclosing class in nested namespaces. (case=109768)
- \# no longer causes text to be identified as a VA Hashtag. (case=108807)
- Goto and Goto Related now work on VA Hashtags that have hyphens (when the behavior is enabled). (case=109520)
- Fixed case in which nested class and struct definitions were listed twice in the Goto Member dialog. (case=109339)
- [VS2017] Vcpkg directories now identified as system include directories. (case=109042)
- Fix for parsing of C# lock statement. (case=104206)
- Fix for parsing of C# null-conditional operator. (case=104904)
- Fix for Source Links GitHub plugin not using specified port number. (case=109746)
- [VS2010+] Message windows from .exe installer now appear on Windows Taskbar. (case=109372)
- Fix for incorrect line number displayed in tooltips of the Goto Member dialog. (case=109202)
- Fixes for various Code Inspection crashes. (case=105275, case=109004, case=109145, case=109556. case=109696, case=109808, case=109811, case=109954)
- Fixes for crashes identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=108622, case=109146, case=109147, case=109810, case=110325, case=110347)
Requires maintenance through 2017.06.22
- Improved performance of Open File in Solution (Shift+Alt+O) dialog in binary distributions of Unreal Engine 4.
- Fix for load of Open File in Solution dialog when no solution is loaded and disk-based search is enabled. (case=106017)
- [VS2017] Disabled notifications of changes to the open solution to work around a problem in Visual Studio that caused errant "Specified cast is not valid" compilation errors. Learn more. (case=104119)
Requires maintenance through 2017.06.15
- Source Links, previously a standalone extension, is now integrated into Visual Assist. Source Links connects comment substrings to external applications and websites, such as bug trackers, case managers, documentation, and source code control systems.
- Open File in Solution (Shift+Alt+O) dialog now allows inclusion of files in solution directories that are not explicitly part of a solution, and inclusion of files otherwise hidden by extension.
- New Code Inspections:
- Check emptiness with empty() instead of size()
- Redundant get() on smart pointer
- Redundant 'return' or 'continue' statement
- Reset unique_ptr with '= nullptr' instead of delete 'p.release()'
Learn about Code Inspection.
- Find References now designates class creation/construction hits.
- By default, symbols declared within \Program Files are now always considered stable, even if the containing files are part of a solution. Such symbols are therefore excluded from the Find Symbol (Shift+Alt+S) dialog, and can appear in italics. VA Hashtags in the files are also excluded from the VA Hashtags tool window.
Files in \Program Files that are part of a solution still appear in the Open File in Solution (Shift+Alt+O) dialog, but as both Solution Files and Shared System Files. Exclude the files from the dialog using the filter "-\Program".
Users with a binary distribution of Unreal Engine 4 can now see stable engine symbols in italics if the engine distribution was installled to \Program Files.
Exclude engine files from the Shift+Alt+O dialog with the filter "-\UE_4".
- Registry setting is available to run Visual Assist parsing threads at low priority.
- [VS2012+] Changing the Platform Toolset of a project no longer requires solution reload for VA to see changes of the include paths. (case=61645)
- [VS2017 15.3] Enabled solution event change notifications that were disabled in VS2017 15.0-15.2 for case=103990; OFIS now reflects changes to solution without needing solution reload. (case=104119, case=108535)
- The Use Using and make_unique Code Inspections are now disabled by default in VS2010-VS2012. (case=108382, case=108490)
- Fix for failure of Code Inspection to use appropriate settings in some cases. (case=108533, case=108493)
- Fixed case in which Code Inspections were not flagged in some files opened during solution load. (case=103667)
- Fixed case in which Introduce Variable improperly attempted to replace inappropriate source. (case=102782)
- Fix for highlighting of VA Hashtags being inadvertently dependent upon Highlight References. (case=108516)
- Fixes for various Code Inspection crashes. (case=106018, case=108197, case=108267, case=108466, case=108599, case=108804, case=108812)
- Fixes for crashes identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=108196, case=108623, case=108626, case=108627)
Requires maintenance through 2017.04.26
- The Open File in Solution dialog can now be interrupted without the dialog's closing.
Press Esc or click Stop to interrupt loading of system files. (Interrupting does not affect the loading of solution files.)
- Added a Code Inspection to convert unadorned, ASCII strings with escaped characters to raw string literals.
- Code Inspection now supported in Shared Items Projects. (case=104861)
- Code Inspection honors forced include compilation flag. (case=105288)
- Code Inspection now available in the Visual Studio Preview Tab. (case=104056)
- Fix for Encapsulate Field incorrectly handling some binary operators. (case=103821)
- Fix for "Replace with emplace_back" Code Inspection improperly handling some arguments. (case=104506)
- Code Inspection no longer flags "Destructor body can be replaced with '= default'" in VC++ toolsets earlier than VS2013. (case=105286)
- Fix for bad formatting after convert to range-based-for. (case=103137)
- Convert to range-based-for now preserves iterator type. (case=104834)
- Fix for incorrect comment displayed in VA Hashtags window for some hashtag instances after execution of Goto Related on an instance of the hashtag. (case=105593)
- Fix for inconsistent trigger range on make_unique and make_shared code inspections. (case=105492)
- Variables created by conversion to range-based-for whose names are based on symbols with the prefix m_ have the prefix stripped from the new name. (case=104910)
- Fix for incorrect type deduction by Introduce Variable on some template functions. (case=102781)
- Fix for pause caused by Code Inspection when opening files in some projects. (case=105153)
- Improved response of group selection in Code Inspection Results window. (case=105594)
- VA Step Filter now stores file paths relative to solution so that filter configuration can branch with source code. (case=97565)
- Symbols located via Vcpkg are rendered in italic (if the italic option is set) and files are listed as [Vcpkg] in OFIS (when 'Show only files...' is unchecked). (case=100271)
- Adding registry setting to disable #include completion (binary value named IncludeDirectiveCompletionLists). (case=105000)
- Fix for poor response while typing #include directives in project with large number of include directories. (case=105151)
- Fix for failure of double-click on file in VA Step Filter to go to expected line. (case=105155)
- Fix for editor extension exception reported by Visual Studio after install when SourceLinks was also installed. (case=104914)
- Fixes for various Code Inspection crashes. (case=104863, case=105091, case=105137, case=105246, case=105300)
- Fixes for crashes identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=105277, case=105488, case=105489, case=105620)
Requires maintenance through 2017.03.23
- Added support for Unreal Engine 4 keywords Super and Cast, and made GoTo Implementation (Alt+G) work for methods declared via UFUNCTION. Learn to enable the support.
- Code Inspection, a feature introduced in build 2210, is available also in Makefile projects. Learn about Code Inspection.
- [VS2017] Fix for Code Inspection not being available in projects created in previous versions of Visual Studio when the experimental C++ feature Faster Project Load is enabled. (case=104634)
- [VS2017] Fixed failure during load of some folder-based solutions. However, settings in cmake folder-based projects are not currently supported. (case=104738)
Requires maintenance through 2017.03.08
- Added support for Visual Studio 2017.
- Added Code Inspection, a new feature based on LLVM/clang that analyzes code as you edit. Initial checks offer to modernize C++. Feature is off by default because it is under active development. Enable in the options dialog for Visual Assist.
- Open File in Solution (Shift+Alt+O) now searches for files in system include paths when "Show only files in current solution" is unchecked.
Added support for Unreal Engine 4 keywords Super and Cast, and made GoTo Implementation (Alt+G) work for methods declared via UFUNCTION. Support for UE4 will be included in the next build of Visual Assist.
- Added options to select alternate actions for Ctrl+Mouse-Wheel in the text editor.
- Rename Files better supports changing of case only. Invoke Rename Files using Shift+Alt+Q when in whitespace. Learn more.
- Visual Assist now reads include paths specified in CppProperties.json of folder-based C++ projects.
- Overloaded resolution is applied to the constructors sub-menu of GoTo Related.
- [VS2017] Fix for cast errors reported during compilation of projects created in previous versions of Visual Studio when the experimental C++ feature Faster Project Load is enabled. (case=103990)
- Multiple fixes and improvements to overload resolution for Goto and Goto Related. (case=100046, case=100047, case=100048, case=100265, case=100311, case=100312, case=100313, case=100333, case=100402, case=100630, case=100737, case=100751, case=101021, case=101249, case=101287, case=101366, case=101367, case=101515, case=102922)
- Multiple UI improvements to Address Resolver and PDB Explorer. (case=100122, case=100168, case=100169, case=100170, case=100202, case=100336, case=100350)
- Fixed parsing of anonymous enums that specify size. (case=62046)
- Fixed case in which symbols from VS2013 include paths were inappropriately displayed in VS2015. (case=65910) 12765
- Fix for failure to suggest VA Hashtags when solution has more than 1000 hashtag instances. (case=102926)
- Fix for Goto Member not displaying any members for class defined in source file that is open, but not included in the current solution. (case=100459)
- Fixed intermittent empty list in Goto Member dialog. (case=100600)
- Fixed incorrect use of C++ scope resolution operator in C# suggestion for new. (case=101544)
- Fixed resolution of C# var literals. (case=101919)
- Prevent Move Implementation to Header from executing when no target file has been identified. (case=102715)
- Fix for files missing from OFIS (until solution reload) when new project added to loaded solution (regression in 2114). (case=102228)
- Fix for some class instances incorrectly marked as class definition in Find References Results window. (case=104019)
- Fixes for crashes and deadlock identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=102556, case=103360, case=103538, case=103869, case=104121)
Requires maintenance through 2016.12.12
- Added support for Visual Studio 2017 RC.
- [VS2017] Fix for erroneous report of failed installation to localized versions of Visual Studio 2017 RC. (case=101392)
- Fix for Clone command in Find References Results (regression in 2116). (case=101957)
- Fix for members listbox that temporarily hangs in certain circumstances (regression in 2107). (case=101940)
Requires maintenance through 2016.11.29
- Added preliminary support for Visual Studio 2017 RC. (Previous "15" previews are no longer supported.) See this forum announcement for the state of support.
- [VS2017] Support for new Visual Studio extension manifest. (case=100594)
- [VS2017] Exe installer supports side-by-side installations of VS2017. (case=100590)
- [VS2017] Support for Faster Project Load feature of VS2017 C++. (case=100735)
- During #include file completion, inserting a directory name before a file name no longer causes the file name to be eaten. (case=100878)
- Improved caret placement after #include completion. (case=100874)
- Added checkbox to Suggestions page of Visual Assist Options dialog to turn off all Visual Assist listbox features. (case=100966)
- Fix for false reporting of error during Rename Files in C# projects. (case=101530)
- Fix for a caught exception reported when opening the Visual Assist Keybindings dialog in some environments. (case=101436)
- Fix for crash in Options dialog identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=100989)
- Fix for crash at exit that sometimes occurred if the Tip of the Day dialog was still running when exiting the IDE. (case=100997)
- Fix for crash at the end of IDE shutdown identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=101487)
- [VC6] Fix for crash during startup identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=100996)
Requires maintenance through 2016.10.15
- Added preliminary support for Visual Studio "15" Preview 5. (Other Preview versions are not supported.)
Suggestion Lists and Enhanced Listboxes are not yet available in Preview 5.
The C++ experimental feature 'Faster Project Load' is not supported.
Preview 5 versions 25802 and 25807 have been tested. Run the Visual Studio Installer (a start item after installation of the IDE) to get the newest version of the IDE.
If you uninstall Visual Assist and Visual Studio "15" crashes during startup, see this forum announcement for reset instructions.
- Fix for crash that occurs when processing certain macros (regression in 2112). (case=100596)
- Tip of the Day dialog is displayed on a background thread (no longer blocks load of solution, etc). (case=2324)
- Fix for stall that occurs in certain situations when using Alt+O after running Add Class. (case=100382)
- Fix for unrecognized symbols after files located in non-project solution folders are opened and then closed. (case=100216)
Requires maintenance through 2016.09.16
- Visual Assist .exe installer targets and installs to Visual Studio Enterprise "15" Preview 4.
- New dialog lists and explains all shortcuts related to Visual Assist. Open via VAssistX | Help | Keyboard Shortcuts.
- New dialog displays additional, recommended shortcuts for Visual Assist. Dialog opens one week after installation, or via VAssistX | Help | Keyboard Shortcuts | Recommended.
- Open File in Solution dialog now supports opening of files by fully qualified path, even for files that do not appear in the dialog list.
- Open File in Solution dialog now supports opening of files at specific line numbers.
Include ":lineNumber" after filtering to a specific file.
Include "(lineNumber)" with a fully qualified path, even if the file is not in the dialog list.
- Goto (Alt+G) and Goto Related (Shift+Alt+G) now differentiate between method overloads in C/C++ based on context of site invocation.
- Behavior of Smart Select (Alt+[ and Alt+]) can be adjusted on a new page in the options dialog.
- Reset Editor Zoom now affects the global zoom state of Visual Studio 2015 rather than just the state of the active editor.
- New debug tool, Address Resolver, efficiently converts text versions of virtual addresses, e.g., a call stack, into resolved symbols found in PDBs. Learn more.
- New debug tool, PDB Explorer, lets one efficiently browse and search for symbols in a PDB. Learn more.
- Improved speed of loading solutions that have a large number of native projects.
- [VS2012+] Fixed performance degradation of file loading that worsened as the number of open editors increased. (case=99323)
- Fixed case in which alt+o failed to locate file a match in a sub-directory. (case=98947)
- Fixed cases in which selection of item from VA Members Listbox unexpectedly overwrote text to the right of the insertion point. (case=99511)
- Prevent Goto from identifying case-insensitive symbol matches in some cases. (case=99358)
- Fixed various cases in which identifiers generated by macros were not properly parsed. (case=99486, case=99509, case=99795, case=99816, case=99945)
- Fixed Goto Member of C++/CLI 'interface class' and 'interface struct' object types. (case=99536)
- Fixed selection of 'find text' match sometimes not being visible due to line scrolling off screen upon creation of VA Nav Bar. (case=99761)
Requires maintenance through 2016.08.01
- Fix for failure of Visual Assist to properly load in some circumstances (regression in build 2107). (case=98983)
Requires maintenance through 2016.07.15
- New refactoring commands move implementations to header files and class declarations. Learn more.
- Smart Select commands that extend and shrink selections do so with finer granularity. Learn more.
- Smart Select block commands (Alt+] and Alt+[) now begin selections with the current statement, and non-block commands (Shift+Alt+] and Shift+Alt+[) now begin with the current word. Registry settings make underscore and change-of-case delimit a word. Learn more.
- Open Symbol in Solution dialog can display file and directory columns to make it easy to discern like-named symbols found throughout a solution. Learn more
Enable the columns in the context menu of the dialog.
- Tooltips that appear when scrolling or hovering in several dialogs can be hidden. Setting is available in the context menus of Goto Member, Open File in Solution, and Open Symbol in Solution. For the symbols dialog, tooltip content is redundant with file and directory columns.
- Open Corresponding File (Alt+O) now searches more places for files, including .., ./inc, and ./include. Learn more
- Sorting of lines now prompts for sort order and case sensitivity. Learn more
- Parsing of solutions can be restricted to a single thread, without restart of the IDE, to accommodate other tasks with higher priority. Find the setting on the Performance page of the options dialog for Visual Assist. Learn more
- New entry in context menu excludes cross-references from VA Hashtags tool window. Learn more
- Added access to history of saved versions if auto-recovery feature of Visual Assist is enabled. Learn more
- [VS2010+] Fix for VA Navigate Back (alt+left arrow) failing to return to recorded column position. (case=97613)
- Fix for Smart Suggestion of vector of shared_ptr. (case=96425)
- Fixed Smart Suggestion namespace qualification of enum values in user-provided sample. (case=98073)
- Fix for failure to deduce auto rvalue ref type in range-based for loop. (case=96952)
- Sort Selected Lines honors system locale. (case=97868)
- Fix for Create Declaration being confused by a function try block. (case=93234)
- Fix for failure of Goto to work with variable defined using decltype expression. (case=93387)
- Various fixes for Smart Select selections. (case=94946, case=95812)
- Improved auto type deduction in range-based for loops. (case=86248)
- Improved Smart Suggestions of template variables in certain scenarios. (case=91733)
- Fixed case in which parentheses were not automatically matched when complete with any character was enabled and '(' was used to commit the listbox selection. (case=97044)
- Improved results of Goto and Goto Related on namespace usages that reference nested namespaces. (case=68241)
- Fix for snippets inserted with incorrect line endings in empty files. (case=97752)
- Fixed case in which VA incorrectly handled static_assert in a class definition. (case=97232)
- When Goto is invoked on an external type in XAML, VA prompts to open the Object Browser (instead of searching it without prompting). (case=96541)
- Find Symbol in Solution dialog lists symbols defined in source files imported via nuget packages. (case=97175)
- Fixed case in which VA Outline reported incorrect range of a #define in certain situations. (case=97224)
- Add Missing Case Statements now supports switches on properties. (case=96542)
- Fixed parsing of D2D interfaces and types that implement them. (case=97120)
- Fixed case in which symbols defined via system include directories might be recognized in one solution but not in another. (case=97154, case=97190)
- Fix for Move Implementation commands not properly selecting moved code in some cases. (case=96852)
- Fixed case in which include resolution of files in system include directories might not be properly resolved. (case=97154)
- Fixed case in which VA Snippet was processed with different end results when executed with in-editor placeholder expansion vs placeholder expansion via dialog. (case=96968)
- Disabled implementation of case=4568 due to unexplained lag while typing templates in a specific situation (can be re-enabled via edit of reg value ReparseIfNeededMaxFileSize2). (case=98305)
- [VS2015 Update 3] Enabled in-editor expansion of snippet input placeholders. (case=95894)
- [VS2015 Update 3] When changing the state of the automatically extend multi-line comments setting, VA prompts to make the opposite action with the IDE provided feature in C#. (case=95605)
- [VS2012+] Fixed positioning of Goto and Goto Related menus when invoked in XAML files. (case=98462)
- [VS2010+] Fixed tab order in Snippet Editor. (case=98606)
- [VC6] Fix for deadlock in some situations after using Add Class. (case=98643)
Requires maintenance through 2016.06.02
- Fix for some template methods missing from Methods in File list (Alt+M) (regression in 2097). (case=97700)
- Fix for bad letter spacing when using some fonts in non-editor windows on Windows 10 (regression in 2097). (case=93507)
Requires maintenance through 2016.05.12
- Added support for Visual Studio Enterprise "15" Preview 2 when the IDE is installed using its ISO or web installer. (Preview 1 is no longer supported.)
- [VS15] Fix for failure to fully initialize in some environments (with caught exception reported by Visual Studio when opening an instance of the editor). (case=97065)
- [VS2010+] Fix for caught exception reported by Visual Studio at startup in some environments (regression in 2097). (case=97066)
Requires maintenance through 2016.05.09
- Added support for Visual Studio Enterprise "15" Preview 1 when the IDE is installed using its ISO or web installer. Support is available in the exe installer and vsix installer of Visual Assist.
- Added an alternate location for roaming data, e.g., OneDrive. Learn more.
- Added option to display global commands, which apply to all solutions, in the context menu of the VA Hashtags tool window. Learn more.
- Added support for themes to the VA Snippet Editor in Visual Studio 2010 and newer IDEs.
- [VS2015+] Improved completion listbox contents in C#. (case=95744)
- Fixed failure in some cases to parse template that had default parameter values. (case=71786)
- Fix for Create from Usage not offering to create class in 'new' expression when the new class is different than the type of the declared variable (base/derived class hierarchy). (case=86439)
- Fix for parse of using keyword/type alias of template. (case=88462)
- Fix for parse of alias when '=' is not separated by spaces. (case=95849)
- Fixed incorrect parameter bolding in parameter info for function whose return type is decorated with multiple SAL annotations. (case=96707)
- Fixed case in which Implement Virtual Methods placed generated code into a comment at end of file. (case=96191)
- Fixed case in which mouse-clicks were improperly processed in xaml source. (case=96808)
- [VS2010+] Fix for reset of Step Filter data upon install of updated version of VA (which will occur again with build 2097 but will not occur going forward). (case=96405)
- Fixed incorrect preprocessor directive indentation when invoking a VA Snippet that starts with the $end$ reserved string. (case=96374)
- Improved letter spacing of colorized text in non-editor windows on Windows 10. (case=93507)
- Fix for processing of changes to project properties (for example, include directories) not being honored until reload of solution (regression in 2089). (case=96945)
- Fixes for crashes identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=96739, case=96741)
Requires maintenance through 2016.03.25
- [VS2015 Update 2] Disabled in-editor placeholder expansion of VA Snippets due to snippet expansion bug in Update 2. (case=95894)
- Fix for About dialog crash identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=95893)
- [VC6] Fix for a message in the Options dialog appearing repeatedly. (case=95603)
Requires maintenance through 2016.03.11
- Added support for Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 RC.
- Added a help box to the options dialog. Follow in-help links to external documentation.
- Made refactoring commands available immediately after symbols are created.
- Made Create from Usage set visibility to private for methods referenced only in a class definition.
- Made Implement Interface respect visibility of methods in base classes.
- Added parsing and coloring support for Unicode and raw string literals, constexpr, and thread_local (C++11).
- Added parsing and coloring support for single-quote digit separators, and standard user-defined literals (C++14).
- [VS2015] Fix for missing tooltip text of some C# listbox items. (case=94734)
- Fix for broken GUID creation during expansion of inline snippets in C++ (regression in 2073). (case=95237)
- Open File in Solution no longer opens external editor twice. (case=95062)
- Template arguments in method return types are now fully qualified by Create Implementation. (case=26956)
- [VS2015 Update 2 RC] Disabled in-editor placeholder expansion of VA Snippets due to snippet expansion bug in the RC build of Update 2. (case=95473)
- Fix for Encapsulate Field causing bad code due to constructor initialization list using brace initialization. (case=93992)
- When Move Implementation to Source File is executed on an inline method of a template class, the implementation is moved outside of the class definition but kept in the header file (unless already outside of the class definition, in which case the implementation is moved to the source file). (case=67727)
- Function try block no longer causes incorrect positioning during Create Declaration. (case=93234)
- [VS2015] Fixed case in which Parameter Info tooltip failed to appear. (case=94912)
- Fixed instance where Introduce Variable incorrectly removed grouping parentheses. (case=95033)
- Fixed case in which dismissing a listbox with a Rename suggestion prevented reparse from occurring until moving off of current line. (case=95272)
- Fix for truncated tooltip in VA Hashtags toolwindow. (case=93955)
- Parser no longer confused by GCC __attribute__. (case=95299)
- Fixes for crashes identified via Windows Error Reporting. (case=94885, case=95009, case=95010)
- [VS2010] Fix for crash when VSColorOutput extension is enabled. (case=94928)
- [VS2010] Fix for cropped text in Find References results window when enhanced coloring is disabled. (case=94718)
Requires maintenance through 2016.02.01
- Encapsulate Field in C# can designate a field internal, thereby making the field accessible only within files in the same assembly.
- Smart Suggestions for pointers work with typedefs.
- Improved response when typing in Visual Studio 2015.
- Fix for intermittent hangs in code with unnamed template parameters that have default values. (case=94492)
- Improvements to scoping of function return types during Create Implementation. (case=1247)
- Fixed resolution of keyword 'this' in source files with using namespace directives. (case=4135)
- Fix for Change Signature failing to update parameter references in source file with using namespace directives. (case=7204)
- Fix for Rename Files failure when run on files just generated by VS Add Class feature. (case=91385)
- Add/Remove Braces command now available in the case statements of switch blocks. (case=92040)
- Fix for parse of constructor implementation (of class in multiple nested namespaces) in source file with multiple using namespace directives. (case=94608)
- Fix for Goto failure to locate implementation in source file with multiple using namespace directives. (case=93987)
- Fixed instance in which Create Implementation executed from header file failed to identify proper location in source file for generated implementation. (case=92499)
- Goto command executed in comment now supported at start of word. (case=94296)
- [VS2012+] Fix for selection being created in editor during mouse click that gives focus to editor that is in preview state. (case=69901)
- [VS2015] Fix for C# listbox setting in Options dialog failure to be committed to registry. (case=94282)
- [VS2013+] Fix for hang during solution load identified via Windows Error Reporting.
- [VC6] Fixed crash at shutdown identified via Windows Error Reporting.